Meet the winemakersSeptember 29, 2020
From: 260,00 €
CLASSICS: the velvety timeless Riojas.
Wines that epitomize the smooth elegant Rioja style.
Finesse. Indulge into elegant silky Reservas and Gran Reservas with long drinking windows.
What’s the Classic Rioja style?
The classic traditional Rioja is a red Tempranillo-based blend aged for many years in American oak barrels.
It’s light-to-medium bodied, still shows lots of acidity and just gets better with age. The fruit is there but it’s not massive, there are hints of vanilla and wonderful complex aromas developed over the years. It starts to show a pale-orange color. It’s usually blended with Garnacha, Graciano or Mazuelo.
We refer to the velvety lingering Reservas and Gran Reservas you most definitely have had before.
Classics: Unveiling the traditional Rioja flavors
You’ll love the Classics if you like a sip of the traditional Rioja flavors –liquorice, plums, raisins, hints of vanilla, tobacco, leather with a lingering aftertaste-
This experience is suitable for those wine lovers fond of the Reservas and Gran Reservas – and for those who wish to sample the long-aged timeless Riojas with long drinking windows.
I’m no expert, is this tour suitable for me?
You are probably exposed to the very good mass-produced Reservas and Gran Reservas available at home.The typical Rioja everyone thinks of when they hear “Rioja”.
Our proposal is to take you to the high-end wineries that epitomize the traditional finest Riojas: balanced, silky, elegant timeless wines that have proudly represented Rioja for decades. If you ever fell in love with a Premium Rioja Gran Reserva, this will be music to your ears!
Long-aged wines with long-drinking windows
These wines have been aged for very long periods and have therefore long drinking windows.
To give you an idea, the vintages we are drinking now are 2010, 2011 (the last two vintages officially rated as Extraordinary by the Rioja Control board) 2012 and 2014.
There are many wineries that make Reservas and Gran Reservas. However it’s not just about the ageing period, it’s about the quality. That’s why we will only take you to Premium cellars to sample limited edition wines or wines with little market exposure, as they are only sold at top restaurants and exclusive wine shops.
- 9am hotel pick up check pick up towns here
Hotel pick up and drop off in the towns of Logroño, Laguardia, Villabuena, Elciego, Ábalos, Briones, Haro and Briñas.
- Stop at a vineyard to see the vines and explain the DOCa Rioja growing methods, climate, soils and wine classification systems
- Tasting of 3 high-end wines at a Premium château-style cellar that only sells to top restaurants
- Tasting of 3 fine wines at a boutique winery with a small 35,000 bottle annual production that makes silky yet bold wines
- Tasting session of 3 high-end wines at a renowned winery (the Spanish wines most in demand by diners all over the world at this moment)
- Farm-to-table freshly-made lunch paired with 1 wine at our private entertainment room in a quaint medieval village . The dining room is perched up on a hill, just beneath a church and a 12th-century castle.
- 6pm hotel pick drop off.