Winemaking has influenced architecture throughout Rioja over hundreds of years; we will show you how and why.
The pioneer was Gustav Eiffel in 1890 followed by a number of renowned international architects including: Frank Gehry, Santiago Calatrava, Zaha Hadid and Philippe Mazierres.
Built more recently, this small region has over 600 wineries that showcase a variety of architectural styles: from modernist jewels to avant-garde temples.
What one may not expect is that those buildings blend in beautifully with the landscape, which just adds to La Rioja’s allure. It is difficult to describe without experiencing it first-hand. Together we will discover some jaw-dropping architectural wineries and understand them within their context.
Duration: from 9am to 6pm
- 9am hotel pick up and drop off
- guided tour at Marqués de Riscal, Frank Gehry’s titanium avant-garde winery in Elciego with tasting of 2 wines
- Tasting session of 4 wines at a contemporary architectural winery
- guided tour at a boutique 15th-century cellar with a series of interconnected galleries excavated out of bedrock. This visit will allow you to understand the origins of winemaking in Rioja and the importance of gravity back then. Tasting of 3 wines.
- Farm-to-table home-made lunch paired with 2 wines served at our private underground cellar excavated out of bedrock underneath a 12th century castle
- 6pm hotel drop off