Wine and Architecture go hand and hand in Rioja
How does wine influence architecture in Rioja?
Winemaking has influenced architecture throughout Rioja over hundreds of years and we will show you how and why.
Architectural wineries in Rioja
There are multiple examples of the marriage wine and architecture in Rioja. The pioneer was Gustav Eiffel in 1890 followed by a number of renowned international architects including: Frank Gehry, Santiago Calatrava, Zaha Hadid and Philippe Mazierres.
As a result, Rioja wineries showcase a variety of architectural styles: from modernist jewels to natural gravity-fed caves, contemporary building or avant-garde temples.
Art & Wine marriage
What one may not expect is that those buildings blend in beautifully with the landscape, which just adds to La Rioja’s allure. However, it is difficult to describe without experiencing it first-hand, therefore we invite you to discover some jaw-dropping architectural wineries with us and understand them within their context.
Duration: from 9am to 6pm.
Number of wines tasted: 12
- 9am hotel pick up and drop off
- guided tour at Marqués de Riscal, Frank Gehry’s titanium avant-garde winery in Elciego with tasting of 3 wines
- Tasting session of 4 wines at a contemporary architectural winery
- guided tour at a boutique 15th-century cellar with a series of interconnected galleries excavated out of bedrock. This visit will allow you to understand the origins of winemaking in Rioja and the importance of gravity back then. Tasting of 3 wines.
- Farm-to-table home-made lunch paired with 2 wines served at our private underground cellar excavated out of bedrock underneath a 12th century castle
- 6pm hotel drop off